Job Vacancy: Grants and Finances Consultant
Location: remote work, anywhere in the world.
Type of Contract: 8-months contract, on a consultancy basis, with possibility of renewal as full-time contract.
Compensation for the duration of the consultancy: 16,000 USD
Starting Date: October 2, 2023.
Overview of Kohl and IKP
Kohl: a Journal for Body and Gender Research is a queer, radical publication from the South. Based in Beirut and existing outside of institutions, it is an archive that maps our political lives as theory. Through Kohl, we aim to question what and whose knowledges/sexualities are legitimate, challenge the means of production, and historicize (some of) our struggles in their multiplicity. Intersectional Knowledge Publishers is the mechanism through which Kohl operates. IKP aspires to create the queer, decolonial, anti-capitalist spaces we have been longing for.
Overview of the position
The Grants and Finances Consultant position is a consultancy over the span of 8 months that is meant to plan for Kohl and IKP’s next 10 years in terms of financial sustainability. The consultant will think through, then design, a fundraising strategy following feminist anti-capitalist models, as well as financial systems and policies. They will also take over all the processes related to funders and grants, from drafting proposals to meeting with funders to reporting, for the duration of the consultancy. Finally, they will guide us through the process of envisioning new ways of fundraising and financial sustainability.
While the position is flexible in terms of work hours and location, the consultant is expected to attend team meetings and engage with the team’s work.
Finally, the consultancy can be extended to a full-time, permanent position if the goals in terms of fundraising are met.
- Design a comprehensive fundraising strategy for Kohl and IKP
- Identify current issues with the financial model and propose possible solutions
- Plan for Kohl and IKP’s financial sustainability in a way that aligns with Kohl’s political vision
- Identify potential funding sources and calls/opportunities for Kohl and IKP
- Contact and meet potential funders on behalf of Kohl and IKP
- Prepare proposals and draft narrative/financial reports, as well as pitches and general organizational templates
- Liaise with existing funders
- Develop the existing financial system in a way that is clear and adapted to grant reporting as well as governmental policies and regulations
- Contribute to thinking through solid, feminist policies and practices for financial transparency and accountability
- Devise strategies and a workplan to make financial reporting straightforward
Competencies and skills
- Strong commitment to queer feminism, radical justice, and anti-capitalism
- Excellent knowledge of the grant-making landscape, in SWANA and/or internationally
- Knowledge of organizational and alternative models that work towards financial sustainability
- Good understanding of movement-building strategies in SWANA and/or transnationally
- Ability to design and implement a coherent fundraising strategy
- Ability to manage multiple grants in full, including writing proposals and reporting
- Ability to maintain relationships with funders
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Three years of relevant experience in organizational finances and grant management.
- Three years of experience in transnational or SWANA-focused organizing.
- Arabic and French are a plus.
Who can apply
Everyone with a strong commitment to queer feminist politics can apply, but women, trans, non-binary, intersex, and gender non-conforming people will be given the priority.
How to apply
Please submit to email@example.com, with “Grants and Finances Consultant” as the subject line:
- a cover letter
- a CV
- two references
Completed applications must be received by Monday, September 18, 2023, by 11:59pm CET time.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in the week of September 18, 2023.
- A second shortlist will be sent an assessment in the week of September 25, 2023.
- The starting date is October 2, 2023.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.